accessing . . .

accessing . . .

Home Care Library

Storm Windows

The Home Wizard app calculates your ideal home care program to avoid problems with your Storm Windows, but sometimes trouble can still occur. Here are answers to questions about storm window replacement.


I have some old double track storms (with nifty "roller" screens inside) over double hung windosw on a 50 year old addition to my home. I also have some awning windows with integrated storms in this addition. (I'm guessing that this is state of the art screens/storms for 50 years ago).

During a home energy audit, the windows with these storms were considered better than average for (older windows, but I'm interested in gaining a slight improvment by cutting infiltration in the storms.

The storms are still pretty tight, but there is some old gasket material in channels on the edges of the storms (where they ride in the vertical tracks for the double track, and where they seat in the storm window frame on the integrated awning window storms). The profile appears flat. This material feels like a hardened plastic and is breaking off in places.

Any suggestions for how I could go about replacing these gaskets? Obviously, finding an exact replacement material is probably impossible.

Is it possible to remove the existing material and replace it with a silicone caulking, taking care to keep a similar profile of a slight projection? Of course, I'd allow adequate curing time before reinstalling.

Any suggestions you have will be appreciated.


Dear Greg:

If you still want the storm windows to ride in their tracks, then silicone caulking will likely not work for you, as it won't remain flexible enough to give you a tight seal after you move the windows in their tracks.

However, here's a link to a company that sells replacement weatherstripping made especially for storm windows:

If this isn't what you are looking for, just let me know, and we'll try to come up with something else for you.

Hope this is helpful.


I have broken the glass in the top sash in a 30 year old three channel aluminum storm window. I have no idea who manufactured the window, though I have had identical windows in other there a company that can replace the broken glass so that I can use the same frame, or might I just have to hunt around to find a replacement which will fit my existing track? The window is on the third floor of an 18th century brick house, removal of the old track to replace the entire unit would be quite difficult, and everything else about the window works fine. However, do you think total removal and replacement might be the only way to go?


Dear Michael:

To answer your question, yes, you should be able to replace the glass from your storm window. Here is a webpage that describes how you can do it:

And here's another one with illustrative photos:

If everything else about your window works fine, and is in good shape, I would think that you would want to just replace the glass.

If replacing the glass yourself is not something that you are comfortable doing yourself (since you need to be VERY CAREFUL not to damage the spline that holds the glass in place, and of course, you need to be EXTREMELY CAREFUL working around glass to ensure that you protect your eyes, hands, etc. from broken glass fragments), then you should consider finding a local handyperson, glass or hardware store who can do the job for you.

Hope this is helpful.

Storm Windows